Korea last year had the world's highest rate of and the lowest age gap in smartphone ownership, according to the Washington-based Pew Research Center in a report.
Pew on Feb. 5 said 95 percent of Koreans owned a smartphone while the remaining 5 percent used non-smartphone mobile phones, making Korea was the world's only country where everyone had a mobile phone.
Second on the list was Israel (88 percent), followed by the Netherlands (87 percent) and Sweden (86 percent).
Korea also showed the lowest age gap in smartphone ownership. The smartphone ownership rate in the 18-34 age group was 99 percent and that of those 50 and older 91 percent for a gap of just eight percentage points. Most of the countries surveyed recorded gaps ranging from 29 (Australia) to 65 percentage points (Russia), with the exception of Israel (11 points).
Pew conducted the survey last year from May 14 to Aug. 12 on 30,133 people in 27 countries.